I updated the engine with a complete new ignition system with a 50K volt coil built in. I turned the engine over by hand with my breaker bar with a compression gauge on the #1 cylinder until the top dead center marking on the dampener was a zero while the compression gauge showed #1 on the compression stroke. I then marked the position of the distributor rotor in the engine and labeled the distributor cap from 1 to 8 clockwise and using the firing order and the engine plug layout I installed plugs and ran plug wires 1 to 8 to the correct plug # 1 to 8.
With the new ignition system installed I used my timing light on each plug wire while turning over the motor to confirm that each plug and plug wire was operating.
Time to see if it will run
With the ignition sorted I turned on the fuel at the moon tank and cranked the engine over and checked that fuel pressure was at 6-8 lbs and flowing via the see through fuel filter.
With compression, fuel and ignition the engine should run or at least try.
She is alive!!!!!
Using the ignition power switch and starter button on the dash that had installed and tested and wired to the new distributor.
I checked the accelerator squirters in the carburetor, closed the choke and hit the starter and I was rewarded with a few bangs, a backfire or two and a loud exhaust note as the Gasser tried to come to life. I think she is ready to run pending a timing adjustment which is a two person job that me and few rowdy gear head guys can handle next.
One thought on “New Ignition System”